Monday, February 16, 2015

100th Day Fun

I'm just going to put it out there: I have a love-hate relationship with 100th Day. 

Love: I enjoy doing the variety of 100-themed activities and the students just love the fact that they have reached 100 days of school.

Hate: Each year I'm never satisfied with the activities and always think it could be better so I've changed what I've done every year for the last five years.

This year I'm crossing my fingers that I have solved my love-hate relationship and have turned it into 100% love with the help of one of my friends. Last year, my friend was leaving the classroom and she passed along many of her "treasures" to me. One thing I received was a bag full of bandanas she used for a Survivor-themed 100th day. Being one of those teachers who doesn't like to let something go to waste, I knew I had to use the bandanas in my classroom. From this, the a cooperative "100th Day Survivor" was brought to life.

The day is going to start with the students choosing a coloured bandana to signify what "tribe" they are going to be on for the day. Tribes will come up with a name and create a flag for their tribe and display it where their tribe will be working for the day. The tribes will work cooperatively throughout the day to earn 100 points by completing 10 different tasks. Each task is worth 10 points and once a task is completed, the tribes will hand in a ten-frame card and receive a puzzle piece in return. At the end of the day, the tribes will have received 10 puzzle pieces that, when assembled, reveal the 100th day surprise.

I've integrated the 100th Day tasks into my curriculum. For Language Arts, students will be writing about when they are 100 years old and creating 100 year old portraits that are inspired from Finally in First. This activity I've done for many years and I always look forward to reading the writing responses.

The tribes will work cooperatively to build as many words as they came from the letters in ONE HUNDRED and to name 100 acts of kindness. Each group will be responsible for coming up with 20 kind actions. I will be using the heart templates from Jennifer Dougherty's 100 Acts of Kindness for this activity.

For Math, we will work on place value, addition and subtraction, and number order by completing a 100th Day 100s chart mystery picture. We are currently working on our Measurement unit, so students will be finding things that are shorter, longer, and equal to the length of 100 pennies as well as things that are lighter, heavier, and equal to the weight of 100 pennies.

In Phys. Ed. we will be playing three cooperative games: Shipwreck, Crossing the River, and Slipped Disc.

Currently, in Science we are learning about liquids and changes that take place, so students will predict if salt will melt 50 ice cubes faster. We aren't using 100 cubes for the sake of time! 

For the final task each tribe will be given 5 tasks, each one needing to be completed in less than 100 seconds. One person from each tribe will complete one activity.

Upon completion of the last activity, the tribes will be given time to build their puzzle, which is a picture of timbits. To receive the timbit surprise, the students will need to solve the problem of how many timbits each student will get if there are only 100.

If you are interested in any of the activities, pick up the 
student pages by clicking on the image below!


Hopefully the day goes well and I can officially end the hate part of my relationship with 100th Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment