Wednesday, October 29, 2014

The Book With No Pictures

I am obsessed with finding the perfect picture book for any sort of lesson, so of course when one of my colleagues was showing off a new book she had bought in the staff room this morning, I needed to know what it was. She had bought titled "The Book With No Pictures" by B.J. Novak. At first, I thought what a great story to read with my students as we had been inquiring into what makes a story great. She then began to explain the story to me and how it is supposed to be funny because "everything written on the page has to be said by the person reading it aloud."



I later received the book via delivery from her class on the condition that I promised to read the entire book to my class and then share it with another class when we were done. Upon seeing the cover, my class was already questioning what it would be about and one student even commented that they thought the title was a trick and the book would have all pictures, but no words. I had them on the edge of their seats and we hadn't even started reading yet!

My students loved the story and were laughing hysterically throughout. They couldn't get enough of the silly things I had to say. By the time we were finished, my class was begging me to read it again! My mind is already thinking about activities to connect to the book such as drawing the illustrations that we think would go on the page, talking about why it was such a great story, and possibly extending it to write stories of their own that follow a similar format.

Check out the video to see B.J. Novak doing a reading of his own book for a guaranteed laugh.



You can even check out the website for "The Book With No Pictures" here.

1 comment:

  1. What a fabulous book! I will definitely be purchasing that one! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete